Wednesday 4 June 2014

BE STILL....


This is a spur of the moment blog post – I had not intended for this one.

But…..this week I’ve had a few people tell me that they’re in a really tough spot.  Whether it’s dealing with some emotional pain or whether it’s not knowing what steps to take next or being in the middle of what seems like chaos or disaster.  I myself have had some struggles this week so I just thought I’d share a word I got about 2 years ago….

Here’s the situation…..

It had been a several months since my ex-husband had left.  He was still playing games and being ridiculous and I still didn't’ see it.  I was so hurt, I felt abandoned, I was in pain….I really didn’t know what to do.  But I had like 4 people in 4 days give me the scripture verse, Psalm 46:10 which says this:

10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth.”

Now the part for me that was told over and over was the first part – Be still, and know that I am God.

But….I didn’t know what that meant.  Go figure….the girl who was always busy filling every moment of every day didn’t know what ‘Be Still’ meant.  But I didn’t….so I legit googled it.  I thought maybe I could find a book on it, or maybe find some instructions online.  But, nope, there was nothing….so I tried this whole being still thing or what I thought it at least meant - I think I'm still learning it actually. 

And then…a couple weeks later I was reading a book called ‘Breakthrough Prayer’ by Jim Cymbala I was on the train on my way into work….and something jumped out at me from the page. 

(Warning: I’m about to paraphrase a lot here – I’m just gonna give a synopsis)

In Exodus 14 the Egyptians were chasing the Israelites.  The Egyptians were petrified and questioning Moses and Moses says this to the people:

 “Do not be afraid. Stand firm {confident and undismayed} and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. 14 The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.” Vs 13-14

Then you know what happened, God did the unthinkable – He parted the Red Sea. Combined with the faith that Moses had to listen to God’s instruction to lift up his staff. 

Like seriously, come on, could you imagine that!?!?!

But there you have it – my world was rocked….and you know what happened to me, later that day…. My now ex-husband sent me a text asking to meet to get our marriage certificate so he could file for divorce.

Well, apparently God was at work that whole time and I didn’t realize it.  But you know what – because God had given me that word to hold onto that morning, it didn’t stress me out.  I was actually at peace.  I knew without a shadow of a doubt, my God had me and I wasn’t going to have to do the fighting, he would do it on my behalf and all I had to do….was….you got it….BE STILL!!!!

I am not an advocate of divorce by any means but I was in an abusive situation with an unfaithful man and needed out.  And the last few years, as this blog attests to has been a process of healing, restoration, ignition of new and old dreams, desires and purpose. 


Anyways, I just felt like I needed to share this message.  This has been the biggest portion of my journey the last 2 ½ years and I’m still learning this lesson but am enjoying resting in HIS arms and letting HIM take care of me.  I have it as a constant reminder in my room, above my bed, where I’m meant to rest – see, check it out.




Be encouraged that even if things are dark right now, HE’s got you right in the palm of His hands, so rest in them and ask him to take care of you and help you fix whatever mess you’re in the midst of.  Follow his direction as he guides and he will not leave you nor forsake you.  After all, he loved you so much that he gave his only son for you as a sacrifice. 

Sarah



2 comments: